Tuesday 5:12 PM. Cambridge, Mass.
Locale: Junction to Memorial Drive
Perpetrator: Cyclist

I knew this was coming. I knew from the very second I clicked confirm to start this blog that this post was coming. I tried to fight it too. I overlooked many a foolish maneuver from the people I'm least willing to share the road with. I tried to tell myself, "they're being healthy," or "they're concerned about the environment," or even "they're making wise saving decisions." I simply can't turn off that part of my brain that wants these people off the road.

I'm talking of course about people on bikes.

As I just stated, there are many benefits to riding a bike. However, most bike riders fail to understand that when they are on the road they are a vehicle. They need to abide by the rules of the road. Speaking of the road, that's usually where the trouble starts. In my opinion, if there is no bike lane then you should not be on the road. That may sound harsh or critical, but I just don't think it makes sense. Your ~150lb frame plus your 40 lb bike loses all day every day to even the tiniest of motor vehicles. If I were on a bike, I wouldn't even want go toe to toe with a freakin' moped.

If you disregard the fact that you do not have a lane on this road, and are choosing instead to join the traffic, then you need to behave like traffic. Come on people. I can't tell you how many people on bikes I've seen run red lights, cut people off, ignore stop signs. You do not get special privilege just because you are on a bike. Today's winner was one of the worst offenders of this rule that I've seen yet.

I'm at the stoplight turning on to Memorial Drive. It's an entry lane that merges with a lane of traffic coming from above it, which is one of the worst configurations ever, in my opinion. As I begin to turn, I see our intrepid bicycle rider heading straight towards me. Down the entry ramp. Against traffic. Seriously? Not only that, he's heading straight for a freakin' rotary. Where the heck do you think you're even going? There's a perfectly good sidewalk next to you so GET OFF AND WALK IT! Ugh. Just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment