Thursday 5:17 PM. Stoneham, Mass.
Locale: 93 Northbound, a 3 lane highway.
Perpetrator: Black Sedan

Naming things can be hard. Sure, I was able to some up with a clever title for this blog. Things can be titled in really funny, unique, or original names. Sometimes it is best to just be straightforward. Intersections are where lanes, well, intersect. A rotary is such due to the rotary motion the cars go whilst travelling in it. Breakdown lanes are exactly that: a place for cars that are broken down. Easy right? These are the questions you answer to get your permit when you're freaking 16!

Not really sure how today's winner passed that test.

So we're heading toward the 95 juncture and I'm in the right lane. All of a sudden, this guy comes up alongside me. Granted, this is a pretty commonplace move. It's really disturbing how many people think it's a good idea to use the breakdown lane for travel. I'm not all that surprised as he comes up on my right. I am surprised when he tries to get into my lane, despite the fact that there was no room for him to do so. So I honk, repeatedly, and he scoots back into the breakdown lane. He then speeds up and is able to squeeze in. Normally, I'd give a thumbs up here, but I had a stressful day, so I went with a different finger.

Now I don't know if he saw me or not, but he starts doing this weird head motion. It was almost like something out of "A Night at the Roxbury" but slowed down. Then his car starts swerving. Left-right-left-right, the car's motion mirroring his odd head bobbing.

"Great," I think, "I just flipped off a lunatic."

Finally, I see the exit I'm praying for and get into the exit lane. Then I see my good friend in the sedan flick on his blinker. It's at this moment that various scenarios start to run through my head, ranging from a simple merge to something like a modern day, Ben-Hur chariot scene.

None of those unfold however, as partway into the merge, he darts back into the lane he just came from, right blinker still going. Let me tell you, I am glad he chose to not join me for the next part of my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment