To anyone that came to this page for today's entry looking for a smile, a scowl, or possibly a headache, I'm afraid that you'll get none of those things today. As I'm sure you're well aware, there was a terrible tragedy in Aurora, Colorado this morning. People of all ages, sexes, and races gathered for what was probably the most anticipated movie of the year. They were so excited by the prospect of watching the epic conclusion of Christopher Nolan's Batman saga, that they went to the very first showing, at 12:01 AM. At about 12:30 AM, a man came into the theater with weapons and terrorized the theater, killing at least a dozen of the moviegoers.

This man is a lunatic, a terrorist, a psychopath, and any other term which appropriately grasps the horror of the actions he committed. It breaks my heart knowing that there is such reckless disregard for human life in this world. I've been to midnight screenings myself, and the environment there is one of sheer jubilation. When you are dedicated enough to a movie that you deprive yourself of sleep in order to be one of the first in the world to see it, you have a clear emotional involvement in the movie. It saddens me that people in such a frame of mind could have their world turned into one of sheer terror, all because of the actions of one sick individual.

My deepest sympathies go out to the people of that town. To write a post today and consider anything I encountered today a "disaster" is just disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment