Monday 5:28 PM. Boston, Mass.
Locale: Commercial Ave, a four lane road, with the left lane being a left only lane.
Perpetrator: White Company Van and Green Toyota Camry

One thing that you'll immediately notice is that there are two cars written in the perpetrator line of today's post. In my daily travels, I see at least one blog worthy post every day. Obviously. That is not to say that that person's behavior is the only thing I notice in a given day. There may be several potential winners in any given day. In the same idea, there may be many people who I see make the same stupid mistake nearly every day (hence the counter on the right hand side of the blog). This case however is a little different.

In today's tale, we are approaching one of the traffic lights along Commercial Ave. In the gauntlet that is my commute home, this is the signal that I've hit the toughest part of the drive. It is here that traffic grinds to a halt, and a good 20 minutes is spent going...probably about a mile. Knowing this, I try to get through every light I can. Sometimes people in their desperation block intersections. Others zig-zag into different lanes to get ahead.

This was a special move though.

I am in the center lane, going about 35 miles per hour. At this point the white van is about 30 feet behind me in the lane to my right. As we're coming around a bend, I see the upcoming light turn yellow. Now, I'm usually pretty fair about yellow lights, but even I'd have to say that I will more often than not make it through them. I'm not saying I gun it when I clearly have time to stop, but I definitely don't slam on the brakes.

So, using my best judgment, I think that there is definitely no time to stop. I can't estimate distance to save my life, but we had to be a good seventy feet when I saw it turn yellow. So I stop. The van, and the car behind him don't. By the time the light is red, I am rolling to a stop and the van is still a good twenty five feet away. This doesn't stop him though. "Ok," I think, "not too shocking. I guess he was going faster than I realized." A look of confusion then came over my face as the car behind the van flew through the red light too. Now, like I said, the van was a good car's length behind me, and the other car was behind him. Definitely blog worthy driving, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment