Thursday 12:16 PM. Brookline, Mass.
Locale: Beacon Street, a two lane road.
Perpetrator: Black Mercedes

Man, this week has just been on a silver platter for me. These driving disasters have been occurring seemingly everywhere I go. Today's entry happened 10 feet from my office building. The best part is, I don't even need to be in a car to witness some of the moments of genius. Both yesterday's and today's entries happened while on foot. A comforting fact to be sure, as I'm not in danger of interacting directly with these truly skilled drivers.

I work in an 8 floor office building which is 90% doctors. The rough part of this for patients visiting said doctors is the parking. Brookline is just awful when it comes to parking. There is no reasonable place to park for an extended period of time, and the metered spots are just murder on your wallet. Parking is king in this city.

So as I'm heading down the sidewalk, I see that one of the two spots directly outside the office building is open. This is prime real estate for sure. The spot directly in front of the available spot is occupied by a Black Mercedes that has the engine running. I see a lucky commuter coming in to grab the open spot behind the Mercedes when the unthinkable happens...

The guy in the Mercedes kicks it into reverse and backs up into the spot behind him, blocking the guy who was just about to pull in.

I think I did about a quadruple take.

My brain was just flabbergasted by what I just witnessed. I had to keep watching to see what was going on. The guy in the Mercedes gets out of the car and goes up to the other vehicle, who is still angled awkwardly across the lane trying to turn into what was once a parking spot. Dialogue of a nature that I can't even begin to fathom ensues, and the Mercedes driver gives a friendly wave and gets back in the car. On my entire walk to lunch, I ran through possible scenarios, but nothing I could think of made any sense whatsoever. Congratulations to the driver of that Mercedes, because my sheer bewilderment earned you a spot on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment