Thursday 8:32 AM. Boston, Mass
Locale: Beacon St, a two lane road.
Perpetrator: Taxi Cab

Cabbies. What can I say about them? They are notorious for their tendencies behind the wheel. They drive fast, loose, and will do seeming anything to get to their destination. Boston cabbies aren't even the worst offenders. From my few trips to New York City, I know that their cab drivers make ours look like limo drivers. Considering all this, the one thing we can be happy about, is at least they know where they are going.

Or so I thought.

I was under the impression (delusion?) that when your paycheck depends directly on your ability to navigate a city, that you would have some idea of how to do this. Now, I'm sure they don't have to pass any exams which ensure they are the most knowledgeable route planners this side of google maps, but you have to think that after doing the job for some time, they would have some idea of where they are going. Especially when they have electronic assistance.

This particular cab driver, not only seemed lost in regards to his general location, but couldn't even seem to decide which lane he wanted to be in. He starts in my lane, and then casually drifts into the left lane, almost hitting a car. The car honks, and he begins to drift back into my lane. As his indecision was making me nervous, I decided to go around him. As I passed him, I noticed he was using the GPS mounted to his windshield, while driving. With no one in the car...
I can't even begin to fathom where this guy needed to go so badly that he needed to reprogram a GPS while driving for, well, himself. It just didn't make any sense. It did get him somewhere though. An express route to my blog, as Thursday's winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment