Monday 8:53 AM Boston, Mass
Locale: The intersection of Charlesgate West and Beacon Street.
Perpetrator: White Honda

I truly thought we were living in better times. I thought people had finally wisened up and were making good decisions with their lives. I thought the world was a better place for all mankind.
Then came a moment that I hadn't seen in so long, it felt like a dream. I had to pinch myself. Is this happening?

Yes.

Yes it was.

Only it wasn't a dream. It was a freaking nightmare. This move is without a doubt, unequivocally, my most hated move out of all I've seen in this city. I've seen it cause an accident, and I almost got in one by someone doing it. It had been so long since it happened, that I forgot people were capable of it.

When you come off Storrow Drive at this exit, you can just see the madness which is about to ensue. You have the cars taking the exit, which always form two lanes, as the road splits into three, and another merging exit with a yield sign which merges into the rightmost lane. It is a clusterf*ck. But once the lanes are established, it's all good baby. Everyone is where they need to be. The problem is that not everyone knows where they are going. The three lanes are set up as followed:
|Straight Only|    |Right or Straight|    |Right only|

This point is clearly illustrated. It is written on the road, and there are two signs posted. Within 8 feet of each other. Two. 1, 2.
Without fail, people go straight across from the rightmost lane. Y'know, the one where you can go...RIGHT ONLY. Now, this used to be once a week. Easy. I take this exit every day, and without fail, it happened every week. I got in the habit of signaling from the middle lane just in case some genius decides to go straight. Because at that point, straight will be the way through my passenger side. Then a week went by. Then two. Then three! Hurray! No one is failing at simple directions! Life is wonderful!

Well, thank you crazy lady in the White Honda (who not only honked at the person she almost hit, she then flipped them off...with both hands) because not only do you get do you get the prestige of being my blog post today, you officially start a counter on the blog:

"Days Since Some Moron Went Straight Through that Right Only"

No comments:

Post a Comment