Thursday 6:04 PM. Revere, Mass
Locale: Broadway, a two lane road.
Perpetrator: Red Honda, White Cadillac, Tan Toyota, Black Mercedes, Green Toyota 

I really had trouble with today's post. Unfortunately, that trouble was rooted in the fact that everyone was driving like an idiot in Revere. I think that there needs to be more emphasis placed on right of way in driving school. It seems to be something that everyone forgets. People! If you are turning on to a road, you do not have right of way! In fact, most often, if you are turning anywhere, you do not have right of way! Get it in your heads. My girlfriend was driving this most precarious route, and was cut off by no less than 5 people turning in front of her. First came a red Honda which decided to fly into a space barely big enough for a motor cycle. My girlfriend has to slam on the brakes in order for him to get through.

Then, the next car in the obstacle course comes flying in from the left while we have a green light ahead of us. Somehow I doubt there was a malfunction which made both lights green at the same time.

Now, in most places in Mass, a right on red is perfectly legal. A right on red while the traffic you're attempting to join has a green light is perfectly not legal. Well, at very least not encouraged. That did not stop our intrepid commuter from flying into the intersection.

As we approached the next light, I can see the next move developing. Huge Mercedes SUV + Small Female Driver = Big Attitude. (I do not consider myself racist, sexist, or in any other way overly prejudiced. I simply find tendencies among people, especially in drivers. I do not mean to offend anyone with my comments.) This woman is turning through the intersection at which my girlfriend has a green light to go through. With each passing second, the Mercedes creeps further and further in, and is itching to go through. As we approach, there is clearly enough space for us to get through to the other side (don't even get me started on people who block intersections), but she makes a move to go. Thankfully, she stops, but I simply raise my hands in disbelief as if to say: "Really? You really thought you were going through? Did you see that sign that says 'Left Turn Yield on Green'?" Our friendly commuter replies with a simple finger. I don't need to tell you which one.

So finally our turn approaches. We are turning left, no left lane, through oncoming traffic onto a side street. The cars approaching slow down, and I think: "Finally, we are out of this freaking gauntlet of morons." It was a short lived thought. The person on the side street turning onto the main road decides that this is an opportune moment to turn into our lane and cut us off.

Amazing. Revere, you as a whole get the award for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment